Sunday, April 5, 2020

Malala's Magic Pencil

Malala's Magic Pencil
Title details for Malala's Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai - Wait listBy Malala Yousafzai
Illustrated by Kerascoet     

"My voice became so powerful that the dangerous men tried to silence me.
But they failed.
And now my voice is louder than ever.
Louder because people have joined me, and together we make a chorus, standing up for what we believe."

Malala's Magic Pencil is an empowering children's book that allows young readers to experience the author's true life tale. Malala takes her story to the level of a child, without sacrificing the depth of its message. The beautiful illustrations, by the husband and wife team Kerascoet, depict Malala's journey in a way that is both real and full of magic.

In the Classroom
In the author's note to the reader at the end of the book, Malala writes, "Once, I wished for Sanju's magic pencil. Now I know that when you find your voice, every pencil can be magic."
Have students read the above quote, and in a short written response explain how they can use their own voices to help people in their community. Students will then create a picture to support their writing.

Age level: Children's book

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cruel Prince

The Cruel Prince  by Holly Black “Y ou're no killer . He has no idea what I am. Maybe I don't know either. Maybe I never ...